A very quick tutorial on how to make a thunderstorm with lightning, rain and sound.
First you want to download a *zip file.
Unpack this on a convenient place on your computer.
There are 4 files in this package:
- Rain4.wav – This is a sound file.
- Rain2.png – The texture for the rain.
- Thunder and lightning script – This script plays the sound file and creates lightning.
- Low lag rain script – This script creates the rain.
Now you need to upload a couple of things: The sound file and the texture.
Open your inventory, and click the small + button. Select ‘Upload’, then ‘Sound’. Look for the sound file on your computer and upload it.
Second thing to upload is the texture. Again click the small + button. Select ‘Upload’, then ‘Image’. Look for the texture on your computer, and upload it.
When both files are uploaded, it’s time to create the scripts. Create 2 new scripts in your inventory, name them ‘Rain Script’ and ‘Thunder Script’. Now we are ready to copy the scripts from your PC to your inventory
- Open the ‘low lag rain script.txt’ file on your PC, and copy the content.
- Open the ‘Rain Script’ in your inventory, and paste the script.
- Save the script.
- Open the ‘Thunder and lightning script.txt’ file on your PC, anc copy the content.
- Open the ‘Thunder Script’ in your inventory, and paste this script.
- Save the script.
Create a prim on the ground. Open the ‘Content’ tab, and drag the sound file and the rain texture and both scripts from your inventory on the prim. Open the ‘Texture’ tab and set the transparency to 100%. Open the ‘Object’ tab, and make the prim ‘Phantom’.
Give the prim a cool name, and make a copy in your inventory. Now raise the prim roughly 7-8 meters up in the air.
Get yourself an umbrella
*Oddy Pro Tip #847: Copy a couple of these thunderstorm/rain prims, place the around your region, and link them together. Open the ‘Edit’ window, tick ‘Edit Linked’ and click on the prim that’s roughly in the center of the linked prims. Now add a ‘slow rotation’ script (with a very, very slow rotation). This way, all the rain/thunder prims are moving slowly around above your sim